I am new to Blogs, so, a small introduction. I am Manoj Keshwar or MK or Mike and I run VIKTORIANZ – A boutique travel and adventure company and Fun Indian Holidays. Previously, I took a voluntary retirement from the Army to pursue a second career and live the rest of my life pursuing my passions. And one of these passions is to study and research on personal and team habits.
“It seems, in fact, as though the second half of a man’s life is made up of nothing, but the habits he has accumulated during the first half”.
In addition to many hats that I wear, I am proud to be a passionate mentor and trainer. I have been fortunate to be trained at the finest Leadership, Team Building and Habit Forming institutions in the World – The National Defence Academy, Khadakvasla; the Indian Military Academy, Dehradun and The Defence Services Staff College, Wellington. And let me say – that the Habits that they built in me and all those who pass through those hallowed portals of world class training academies – sets them up for assured success in life.
“Perhaps the most valuable result of all education is the ability to make yourself do the thing you have to do, when it ought to be done, whether you like it or not..”
Thomas Henry Huxley
I was wondering if there are any other institutes who have it on their agenda, to inculcate good personal habits – that builds Self Discipline and Efficiency. We pick up these habits mostly from our parents, some in schools and some from our peers. It is vague and it is uncertain, in the way we acquire our habits. Schools and colleges teach the big things – strategies and concepts – and not practical things – i.e. good personal and work place habits. So the fact is – you are expected to have these good habits when you come to work, but, the GAP is – who forms them? This is the Gap that I have pitched in to bridge through my unique training programs on Habits –
- My Efficiency Program – “Me-P” – for personal efficiency.
- We Efficiency Program – “We-P” – for team efficiency.
The unique program ‘Me-P’ = My Efficiency Program – entails ‘8 Personal Habits’ – derived out of the world renowned training in Military. These are proven 8 Habits that work on the edifice of acquiring ‘Self Discipline’. And these daily habits will – positively enhance self- image, personal efficiency, productivity and reputation. The improved individual efficiency cumulatively add up to enhance the organisational productivity.
“I never could have done, what I have done without the habits of punctuality, order and diligence, without the determination to concentrate myself on one subject at a time”
All organisations undoubtedly need employees with good habits – but what are they doing about it? Mostly nothing – an employees personal habits become a fait-accompli ! In organisations – nothing worthwhile can be achieved on sustained basis, without good personal habits of employees and a regulated ‘good habits’ culture.
There is nothing new that I write here, and you don’t already know. At the most it is only a logical reminder of the habits that at some stage – our parents, teachers or employers must have told us – but we allowed them to slip away overtime. In effect i am attempting a a ‘Back to Basics’ exercise. This program (Me-P) is designed to deliver – a small change in your habits which can make you – efficient and happy – which means – a more desirable employee, a more respected manager and person with better work life balance – you have a fulfilling life with family and friends.
“Your net worth to the world is usually determined by what remains after your bad habits are subtracted from your good ones”.
So what are these habits that I am talking about? And can they be changed? Habits have a gravity pull – they tend to slip back to your older habits – especially the ones you want to change. I read somewhere – it is easier to prevent bad habits than to break them. In the same way – picking up a new habit, takes perseverance and will. While there can be a initiator or catalyst for a good habit – but its stickiness will begin and end with YOU, your will and the benefits that you perceive.
The eight habits that will make a very distinct difference to you and your work place are listed below. And they yield the most when you can tell yourself every day that –
- I am an early riser and I exercise daily. It gives me a head start and keeps me energised through the day.
- I am punctual. I am always conscious of time and targets. I am always before time in my appointments and finishing my tasks.
- I carry a notebook and a pen wherever I go. I always note down tasks given to me or ideas that come to my mind. This way, I never miss an idea or a task.
- I do my home-work – make daily, weekly & monthly plans. I plan, prioritise & organise my tasks before coming to work place – helps get work done faster.
- I am a check lists person. I do not miss out anything – habitually I make checklists of my tasks – before actually beginning to do it.
- I work with focus and concentration – one work at a time. This helps me through the clutter and distractions and finish jobs to a good quality and faster time-frame.
- I am a Self-Starter – a perpetual solution finder. Just tell me what is to be done and it will be done. Either I finish the work or find an innovative way to finish the work. Once a task is given to me I do not need to be told anymore – it will be completed.
- I am a committed and a strong Team Player. I am proudly aligned to larger vision of the organisation and I place team interests ahead of my own.
The pertinent question is – How will we acquire these habits? It all begins with your thoughts of having good habits – change will have to come from something deeper inside you …
“Watch your thoughts, for they become words.
Watch your words, for they become actions.
Watch your actions, for they become habits.
Watch your habits, for they become character.
Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.”
I close the blog here. In the coming weeks, I will deliberate on one of the above mentioned habit commitments at a time and watch how it makes you more successful and like-able person everywhere – most of it – in your own eyes.